City Sisterhood Program Between Batangas City and Suseong gu, Daegu Metropolitan City, Republic of Korea
Batangas City and the city of Suseong gu, which is a part of the Daegu Metropolitan City in South Korea have officially established a sister city relationship since November 2009. This was formalized with the signing of the Friendly Exchange Agreement between the two cities last November 11, 2009 when the former Mayor Kim Hyeong-Ryeol of Suseong gu, Daegu Metropolitan City visited Batangas City. At the same time, a partnership agreement was also established between the Batangas State University (BSU) and the Dongwon Middle School in Suseong gu for an academic and cultural exchange promotion between the two schools. This was followed by a visit of the delegation from Suseong gu last June 2010. And just recently, for the first time, three Batangas City officials who represented Mayor Vilma Abaya Dimacuha conducted an official trip to Suseong gu last October 11-14, 2010. The Batangas City delegation were composed of City Administrator Mr. Felipe M. Baroja, City Planning and Development Coordinator Engr. Januario B. Godoy, and City Health Officer Dr. Rosanna Carmelita Barrion. One of the highlights of their trip was the turnover ceremony of the donated fifty boxes of assorted clothing to the Batangas City Government.
City Profile of Suseong gu, Daegu Metropolitan City, Republic of Korea
The original name of Suseong-gu during the Silla Dynasty was Wihwa-gun or Sangchongchang-gun, but this name was changed to Suchang during the reign of the 35th king of the Silla Dynasty, King Gyeongdeok, and, in 1419, it was renamed Suseong-gu "Suseong Ya" and functioned as the central location of the district. On April 1, 1980, when Suseong-gu was established, it was renamed Suseong-gu, and on July 1, 1981, the total area was increased to 76.47kmē when it incorporated Gosan-myum of Kyungsan-gun, when the city was elevated to Daegu Metropolitan City.
Concentration of key city functions of Administration, Finance and Education
Pleasant Residential City in Daegu, comprised of leading roads, parks and other infrastructure
- Concentration of courts, education, offices, police offices, broadcasting stations and other public and financial institutions (84 organizations and institutions)
- Living up to its reputation as the leading education city, it is home to many prestigious schools (40 middle and high schools)
Preparing for the future under the development slogan, "Free Economic Zone. (Suseong Medical Zone)"
- Establishment of parks across the entire district has created environmentally friendly city scenery (Green Zone 75.36%)
- Convenient public transportation due to its proximity to airports, train stations and terminals
- Because of the construction of the largest musical fountain at Lake Suseong, it has become a popular location for families and couples to spend their leisure hours.
The leading high class city through the establishment of "cultural, leisure & sports and tourism mecca"
- International schools and international educational facilities, medical facilities, research institutions, medical facilities and other business units are scheduled to operate in the city
- Daegu Main Stadium: Successful hosting of the 2002 World Cup, 2003 Daegu Summer Universidad, and the venue for the 2011 IAAF World Championship in Athletics
- Construction of a 1.977kmē public sports facilities around the main stadium and additional plans to construct national museums, athletic promotion centers, a dome baseball stadium and other cultural leisure & sports infrastructures.
- 153,291 Households, 453,265 Residents (Male 223,751/ Female 229,514) *Foreigners 1,533 People (Male 714/Female 819)
- Organizations: Main government Office, 23 Resident Centers, 2 Public Health Centers, Suseong Artpia (Public Officials: 854 people) *Area: 76.47kmē
- Chairman Vice-Chairman, 4 different committees (19 Council members)
Climate & Temperature
- Total KRW 275,255,000,000 (General Accounts KRW 262,100,000,000. Special Accounts KRW 13,155,000,000) Note: 1US$ = 1000Korean Won (KRW)
- It is relatively warm during the spring and autumn period with little precipitation. The summer is hot and the winter is cold. There are four district seasons.
- Annual Total Precipitation: 973.9mm
- Annual Average Temperature: 15°C
Located in Daegu which is the third largest metropolitan city in the south eastern region of the Korean Peninsula, there are mountain ranges to the south and east of the city, urban areas to the east and west and the river connect to the Kumho River to the north and south of the city.
FAMOUS TOURIST ATTRACTIONS
- East Longitude 128°35" ~ 128°43"
- Northern Latitude 35°48" ~ 35°87"
- Height Above Sea Level 40.69m
- Youngnamjeilgwan - After the destruction of the Southern Gate of the Fortress which was constructed during the 25th Year of King Seonjo of the Chosun Dynasty, the Mineungsu was reconstructed during the 11th Year of King Youngjo. This Fortress was destroyed again during the 11th Year of King Gwangmu, and it was reconstructed in 1980 to express the spirit of the great ancestors to the people of Suseong
- Gomoryung Monument - The monument is the head stone of the Gomoryung Family, erected in commemoration of the Gomoryung legend and the longing for the beloved mother.
Gomoryung Cemetery received public recognition and popularity when it was the central theme in the song "Raining Gomoryung" sung by Hyunin in 1964 after Korean Independence.
- Suseong Public Stadium - The Public Stadium has a grass field (10.871m) and was the venue of the soccer tournament during the 2003 Daegu Summer Universidad Competition.
- Daegu National Museum - Established in 1994, the National Daegu Museum exhibits all historical relics and a treasure dispersed in the Daegu and Kyungbuk region, and provides an educational site where children can experience respect and appreciate the valuable history and spirit of our proud ancestors.
- Daegu Stadium - Daegu Stadium is the largest multipurpose stadium in Korea. It hosted the 2001 Confederation Cup, the 2002 World Cup, the 2003 Daegu Summer Universidad Competition and it will host the 2011 IAAF World Championships in the summer of 2011.
- Children's Hall - Area: Land 147,000mē Building 8,000mē(4 storage buildings). Since its construction in 1983, it has been building dreams and hopes for children. Recently, it has gained growing popularity from newly wed couples as a location to take their wedding pictures.
- Suseong Artpia - Capacity: Yongji Hall (1,167 Seats), Muhak Hall (324 Seats) Exhibition Hall (320mē). Since its construction on May 1, 2007, it has become the leading art center in the Daegu region.
- Dulangil Restaurant Row - Length: 2.3km, Specialized Restaurants: 123 Restaurants, Transforming the food district into a major tourism attraction by providing the best food and dishes from around the world to all visitors.
- Suseong Amusement Park (Visual Fountain) - Land Area: 1,085,000mē, Lightings, benches, visual music fountain, health facilities, outdoor performance stage and other facilities are established around Lake Suseong. Furthermore, the boats and various different leisure facilities in and around the lake have attracted increasing number of visitors to the park.
- Dongdaegu Street - Dimension: Width 70m, Length 7km, Trees: Approximately 120,000 different trees including the Himalayan cedar. The entire street is decorated with different flowers and trees to create the impression of an arboretum. It was nominated as the most beautiful road in Korea, as well as being nominated as one of the top 100 beautiful roads in Korea by the Ministry of Construction and Transportation.
Copyright © 2003 batangascity.gov.ph. All rights reserved. |
Best viewed in 800 x 600 Resolution.